What Are the Signs of Alcohol Poisoning?

Share this Article 

Alcohol poisoning is a serious condition that occurs when a person consumes excessive amounts of alcohol, leading to a buildup of toxic substances in the body that can have potentially deadly consequences. The condition is caused by consuming alcohol faster than the body can metabolize it, causing the alcohol concentration in the blood to increase to dangerous levels. Alcohol poisoning can occur from drinking a large amount of alcohol in a short amount of time, such as binge drinking, or from consuming small amounts of alcohol over an extended period (chronic alcohol abuse).

The signs of alcohol poisoning can vary depending on the individual, the amount of alcohol consumed, and other factors such as age, weight, and health status. However, there are some common symptoms that may indicate alcohol poisoning

Confusion and Disorientation:


Alcohol poisoning can cause confusion and disorientation. The person may not be able to answer simple questions or follow simple commands.

Vomiting and Nausea:

Vomiting and nausea are common symptoms of alcohol poisoning. The person may vomit several times and be unable to keep any food or liquid down.

Irregular Breathing:

Alcohol poisoning can cause irregular breathing, which can be a sign of severe distress. The person may take shallow or irregular breaths or stop breathing altogether.

Slow Heartbeat:

A slow heartbeat is a sign of alcohol poisoning. The person’s heart rate may slow down significantly, which can be dangerous if not treated promptly.

Blue or Pale Skin:

Alcohol poisoning can cause the skin to turn blue or pale due to a lack of oxygen. This is a sign of severe distress and requires immediate medical attention.


Alcohol poisoning can cause a person to lose consciousness. They may be unresponsive or unable to be awakened, even if you shake or shout at them.


Seizures are a rare but serious complication of alcohol poisoning. If someone experiences a seizure, seek medical attention immediately.

It is important to note that not all of these symptoms may be present in every case of alcohol poisoning. In some cases, a person may only exhibit one or two symptoms. However, any of these signs should be taken seriously and require medical attention.

If you suspect that someone may have alcohol poisoning, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Call emergency services or take the person to the nearest emergency room. Delaying treatment can be life-threatening, as alcohol poisoning can cause severe damage to the body and even lead to death.

In addition to seeking medical attention, there are some things you can do to help someone who may have alcohol poisoning:

Keep them Awake:


Try to keep the person awake and alert. Talk to them and try to keep them engaged. Do not let them fall asleep or pass out.

Monitor their Breathing:

Keep a close eye on the person’s breathing. If they stop breathing or if their breathing becomes irregular, seek medical attention immediately.

Do Not Leave Them Alone:

Do not leave the person alone, even if they seem to be sleeping or unconscious. Check on them regularly and make sure they are still breathing.

Provide Water:

If the person is conscious and alert, provide them with water to help keep them hydrated. Do not give them any other fluids or medications unless instructed to do so by a medical professional.

Alcohol poisoning is a serious condition that can be life-threatening if not treated promptly. The signs of alcohol poisoning can vary, but common symptoms include confusion and disorientation, vomiting and nausea, irregular breathing, slow heartbeat, blue or pale skin, unconsciousness, and seizures. If you suspect that someone may have alcohol poisoning, seek medical attention immediately and take steps to keep them safe until help arrives.